Case of 6
Pinotage is certainly one of those, and now you can have a range of delicious Pinotages to explore and enjoy, and then come back to stock up on those that really work for you. Pinotage is a grape variety, with the vine itself being a cross of Cinsaut and Pinot Noir, bred in 1925 by Professor Abraham Izak Perold, with the first Pinotage vinified in 1941 by CT de Waal (of the De Waal farm outside Stellenbosch). The Pinot part of the name derives from Pinot Noir but the ‘age’ suffix was taken from Hermitage, which is the name that Cinsaut was known by in the Cape at the time. It is strange connection, as Hermitage is, in fact, not a grape variety, but an appellation in the Northern Rhône in France, where the only red grape permitted is Syrah.
- Badsberg Pinotage : Blackberry and cassis on the nose with mocha aromas of a hint of banana, with a palate of ripe plum and rich mocha flavours with lingering aftertaste.
- Beyerskloof Pinotage Reserve : Blackberry and plum flavours upon entry with the light hints of cedar oak aromas from Barrel maturation . A wine with excellent balance, a long juicy aftertaste. Promising blackberry aromas upfront with lively spicy/sweet cedar oak in the background.
- Diemersdal Pinotage : This wine shows a complex nose of red fruits, vanilla, exotic spices, and rich dark chocolate aromas. The palate is full flavoured and smoothly textured with oriental spice, chocolate and roasted banana flavours
- Survivor Pinotage : A barrel-matured wine with hearty fruit flavours including prune, plum and cherry are complemented by elegant notes of spice and cedar.
- Simonsig Redhill Pinotage : Alluring nose with a perfume of black currant mixed with a sweet spice and cedar wood. Seamless tannins wash over the palate that shows big fruit
concentration. Fresh flavours of black cherries, red berries and cassis followed by an underlying support of vanilla pod and toasted oak.
- Zevenwacht 7even Pinotage : The nose has ripe plum and dark cherry fruit, complimented with subtle chocolate and toasted coffee aromas. The palate is medium bodied and juicy with a smooth finish.